The First Courageous Girls Trek Begins!

We’ll be posting regular updates from Silvia and the girls as they trek to basecamp on Everest. Here’s the first report as we embark on this incredible, life-changing journey.

IMG_5340And off we go! After landing late Saturday night in Kathmandu, we all gathered Sunday morning for a group reconnection and last minute preparations readying ourselves for basecamp Everest. We spent the day getting permits, insurance and shopping for trekking items and then after our group dinner, a final packing to be ready for our 4:30am pickup time. Flight departure on Monday was scheduled for 6:00am.

As we got to the airport, flight was delayed due to weather challenges which are very common. Flights departing on time are rarely the norm. So with very little sleep due to the early departure, we found some caffeine and took a this group picture while waiting for our weather to improve.


By 9:00am, we were given the green light and proceed to the flight, only to wait for another 60 minutes on the bus due to weather delays again. As we finally departed Kathmandu for Lukla, the majesty of the Himalayas were a true highlight of this short journey.

IMG_5377As we arrived in Lukla and had breakfast while we awaited for the porters and others. It was 11:30 when we finally set out on our way. The weather made things quite chilly for us, though we were all truly excited to finally make the start of this dream into a beautiful reality. Our goal for the first day was to make it to the town of Phakding. A very special group of 16 of us had agreed a year ago that we’d start off our trek walking on the right foot and we did!

Petra, our iRest trainer, led a beautiful and powerful circle of intentions and with all the special intentions and blessings, we set sail into this wonderful road.

Passing by trekkers, we gave the the traditional “Namaste” greeting. Yaks carrying the bags of other fellow trekkers and the windy rocky trails brought such a big smile to me as I was reminded of my personal journey 10 years ago. As we started trekking up and down the various hills, the scenery opened into such beauty. The traditional villages, the adorable children—we were in total awe of the amazing expansion this area has experienced.


Though it seemed we were going to be caught by pesky rain, the weather stayed steady. Every now and then – the beautiful sight of some mountains took our breath away and made us simply appreciate the amazing gift of nature. We made it to Phakding by 4:30pm just as the temperature started to drop. After our very special first dinner, we are all off to bed now. Tomorrow, we have a long journey and heading up to Namche Bazaar, the gatekeeper of the Himalayas!